Harvesting the Future
Lead Partner: Orange County 4-H
The Gardenís objective is to expand studentsí love of nature, explore science/agriculture careers and nourish their future with healthy food choices. Students learn skills in agriculture and science through gardening.
This is a container gardening program with a focus on science and agriculture education
Students will chose to grow items for a pizza or salad garden, and ongoing competitions will push students toward success
Partnership developed with FAMU and University of Florida to prepare students for further study in science, agriculture and related career options
This is a youth crime prevention effort, which engages youth during out-of-school time.
Purpose/Objective: Work with a group of 3-4 middle- and high-school children while going through a garden-based education program. Help guide them through group activities, encourage dialogue using provided discussion questions, act as a mentor and positive adult role model.
- Help students plant and maintain their container gardens, using the 4-H curriculum
- Offer positive reinforcement and regular encouragement to participating students
- Share the importance of a healthy nutritional lifestyle
- Encourage students towards careers in environmental science and agriculture
- Reliable transportation
- Interest in working with teenagers
- Ability to communicate clearly
- Willingness to learn new teaching skills and methods
- 21 years of age or older
- Pass criminal background check
- Agriculture and gardening knowledge a plus
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time and lift a minimum of 25 lbs
- Comfortable with working with plants and soil
- Comfortable getting dirty
- Weekly sessions of two hours for a minimum of one 8-week semester
Training/Support Provided: Volunteers will be provided with a comprehensive volunteer orientation and subsequent volunteer training by Orange County 4-H.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Gain valuable experience working with Orlando youth.
- Grow your own container garden.
- Learn from local experts in agriculture, science, and nutrition
- Impact studentís community and empower them with the ability to make healthy choices.
- Inspire students to pursue various careers in science and agriculture
Phone: 407.246. 3507